Sunday, March 25, 2012

a change for good

I very rarely feel like blogging about anything personal-ish going on, cause to me a blog was just about pictures and little kid updates and things.  But sometimes I guess it's a good idea to keep people informed about us and changes going on, and sometimes (like now) a chance to get to explain how I feel about certain things a little in depth.

A week and a half ago Tyler got a call to meet with the Stake President.  Long story short, today he was sustained in our ward as the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopbric.  So I've felt the need to write on here how I really feel about all of these things, and clear up what I feel like other people are assuming I feel since this is definitely a more consuming calling, especially since we have 3 young kids and all.  :)

My dad was Bishop for almost 6 years-ish when I was into high school, and Tyler's dad just got released today (ironically) from being the 1st counselor...so we know a little about what this all entails.  :) Over the past week and a half we've had plenty of time to talk between the two of us about the changes that this would bring, the way we both felt, and mostly, the humbling experience it is for Tyler to have this opportunity to serve.  Tyler mentioned countless times how he felt so humbled because there are SO many amazing people in our ward who could easily fill this role, but of all the people he was chosen.  Not because he's perfect, not because he's super experienced, but because at this time in our lives, in this ward, the Lord saw it fit that he be given the chance to serve and get to know the people, and learn and grow closer to the Savior.  Already, I've been amazed at how this call has affected me personally.

So onto how I feel about things.  :)  I was surprised when some people mentioned things along the line of, "make sure they know how busy you are" and things like that when this call came.  As if perhaps he would turn it down because he was too busy??  I am blessed with AMAZING parents, who raised me to have complete faith in the fact that callings are most definitely inspired by the Lord, and issued through his servants.  We don't randomly get chosen for callings by someone on a whim.  In my mind, you don't say no to callings.  As busy as Tyler's life was with work and with our family, and his previous calling, I have no issues with the fact that this calling will be more busy, and more time away from home, and the unpleasant fact that in church he will now have to sit on the stand while I sit with 3 young squirmy children.  (that's my least favorite part.)  I have "no beef" as one might say, about sharing my husband with a church calling.  :)  We will make it work, we will deal with whatever comes our way, and we will look at all of this as a blessing and an opportunity to serve.  More than anything, this calling has brought me joy, which I'm not gonna lie, really surprised me.  I feel so grateful to be married to someone who is worthy of such a calling and it has reminded me of what a great blessing that is.  I am excited for him to learn and grow, and the blessings that we as a family will enjoy as a result of his service and I am thrilled that he can be such a great example to our children.  Talking to my dad, he mentioned the phrase, "where much is given, much is required" but made a point that it in cases like this, the reverse is absolutely true.  "where much is required, much is given."  I love that.  I know the kids and I will be taken care of while Tyler is busy.

So many people already have commented to me about the calling, and have almost made it sound like they feel a little sorry for me in regards to the changes this calling will bring.  Yes, it will be hard having more nights of putting the kids to bed by myself, and the longer Sundays and things like that, but I'm really not all that worried about it.  Aldi has done a good job stealing him away all the time, so I'm actually pretty used to it!  :)  And he's had to go to the morning meetings for over a year now, so at least I've already mastered getting the kids ready and getting to church on time by myself!  (and I will gloat for a minute...that we've been at least 5 mins early to church all year, and church starts at 9.  Go Katie!  Lol.)

I'm also very excited about the new bishop...Bishop Settle.  I LOVE him and his family.  He and his wife Tara are fantastic.  They are great examples of the kind of family we want to be.  I've been serving with Tara on the Relief Society board since we moved in, and she is easily one of my favorite people in the ward.  I'm thrilled that Tyler gets to work closely with him, and hope that we get to know their family even better.

So that's all I guess.  I hope this doesn't sound braggy, or like I'm trying to elevate us because more than anything we feel completely humbled and suddenly VERY aware of the MANY changes and improvements we need to make in our lives.  I am excited to support Tyler, and grateful that we are able to serve the Lord and the members of the Acworth Ward.  :)

4 comments:

David & Audrey said...

I'm with you, I think this is a great blessing for your family. Tyler (with the help of the Lord) will do a great job, and so will you!

summerbummer said...

i love it! I'm excited for you and Tyler. Honestly, I totally thought "wow- what a busy calling" when I found out (and it is, of course), but you have such a positive perspective! aww-- it seriously makes me happy! And, yes, GO KATIE! for being 5 minutes early to church all year! we're not that good. lol.

flytarafly said...

Katie,
I feel very much like you do. I do feel that our family will be blessed for serving and for the sacrifice that it is to serve. I do have my moments of being completely overwhelmed and my emotional meltdowns of having to share my husband with the ward, but Heavenly Father has also let me have small glimpses of how He will step in and help me when Mark is not around. I know it will not be easy but it will be worth it.
Tara

Becky said...

You are so rock solid and I love it when you share your "thoughts" because they always uplift me. I look forward to better meeting you some time.

You are in store for lots of amazing blessings. I wonder, though, how you would do with our 8am church... :)