Wednesday, October 14, 2009

my brain...a mystery to us all

Alright...so here is a blog free of pictures or anything to do with my children and family. Strictly about my brain. I am one of those chain thinkers. I start thinking about one thing, and the next thing I know I'm on a COMPLETELY different subject. Wow.

For example, one time while we were living in Asheboro (the home of the NC Zoo) I started thinking about how it would be fun to take Kendalynn, and I thought about whether they had tigers or not. Within 30 seconds I had started planning out in my mind what would ever happen if I came face to face with a tiger in the jungle, and how I would protect Kendalynn. And to be honest, I was getting a little worried about it. That is a very simple example.

Last night was an especially good chain reaction. Bare with me here, and mind you that this all took place in under a minute. I laid down after we said prayers, and noticed that my tongue was between my teeth. I then recalled an unpleasant story of a friend biting a chunk of his tongue off jumping on a trampoline and needing stitches to get it back on. I then thought to myself that if there was an earthquake or something during the night, I wouldn't want to risk biting my tongue, so I moved it. But that led me to the thought that there aren't really earthquakes in the south, but more so hurricanes or twisters or whatever. So then I started thinking about how terrible it would be to have a twister come attack my house so I started thinking about how I could make sure I could safely get my family and potential future pets into the basement/cellar to wait it out. That made me think about how if we had a cat and he was out wandering the neighborhood when the twister was about to hit, what if he didn't return when being called? My parents cat will sometimes come back to the house when we call him but not always. Whereas, if we had a dog during this disaster, it would always be in the house or in the backyard so it would be easy to save, and bird would always be in their cages and such. I kinda went back and forth about how it might be possible to have an inside only cat, or MAYBE the cat would sense the twister coming so he'd stay inside if we were lucky. But not likely. So I came to the conclusion that I'd be okay to not ever have a cat in our family. (tyler is allergic anyway.)

Wow. So after I went through this process I said out loud to Tyler that I would be okay with not getting a cat to which he asked where that came from. After telling him my chain of random thoughts he pointed out to me how weird I am. Yup.

So after laughing at myself for a few minutes I decided to blog about this experience for all of you, asking for any of you who do this sort of thing to comment so I know I'm not alone. But if not, hopefully you were at least able to get a kick out of this like Tyler and I did last night. :)

7 comments:

Cody & Nikki Killpack said...

I DO THAT ALL THE TIME!! i'm not sure how. I make sure Cody knows each time it happens and I catch myself and he is right next to me. He thinks i'm strange as well. I'm glad you think about disasters because I think about worst case and save everything too! Its because we have imaginations :) When I was little Arnold Schwarzenegger would come to my elementary school (in my mind) and we would save everyone from floods...tornados...and especially volcano eruptions....why i just went off about THAT I am not sure...BUT it goes to show........I too am a chain thinker. It sounds kind of like a chain smoker......interesting....

summerbummer said...

hahhaa.. you're SO weird Katie.

Karie said...

I think that is totally normal ... but not everybody can trace the chain - that's where you are unique and very gifted!

jamie said...

yeah, that's it katie. you're "gifted". sigh, i do the same thing. but wait - i can think of someone else who does it, but out loud. any guesses?

Unknown said...

Katie you make me laugh! I don't know if I start thinking about disasters and what I'd do, but I def feel like start thinking and then the next thing I tell Chewy is totally on another subject, forgetting that HE didn't know where my chain of thought went. I also do this weird thing with my hand when this happens so Chewy sort of knows when thinking about things. I'll have to show it next time I see you guys!

Unknown said...

sorry...i can't relate to this "chain reaction thinking"....i'm always right on target. yup. ...if it'a an "arrow" ...like a bull's eye target, i wonder why they call it a 'bull's eye' it really looks like a "bird's eye", but that phrase was probably already taken, but "bull"??, and for that matter, why an "eye",did i tell you it was raining today?

Unknown said...

hah! i was signed in to YOUR account! (i HONESTLY didn't know!

....you'll NEVER know who sent this! hehee